Dr. Kevin Kirkland's evaluations and conversations with COS and GEM operatives and their colleagues.

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Helen and Virtual Reality

I realize that the questions I asked previously could be difficult for a layperson to answer. But sometimes, I think the simplest understanding of a difficult matter can be helpful to a scientist and other observers.

What is immersive virtual reality to you?

In terms of labeling new ways to learn, "immersion" is relatively new to many people. It's a term linguists use to learn a language quickly, to immerse into words and terms, using tapes, visuals, and simulated environments.

To be "immersed" in virtual reality, therefore, is to be placed in a simulated environment that would provoke the brain, and therefore, sense of self, which include all the natural senses, in an artificial projection. In simple terms, it is a manipulation of reality.

This is not a new thing in our society. Online gamer, modern day virtual reality tours of houses, virtual libraries--these are reflections of what we could do through VR. Immersive virtual reality is, of course, many steps further.

I hope this gives you some understanding of what Hell and Jed experiences.

*******************

I asked this of Helen Roston not too long ago:

How do you differentiate what you feel in virtual reality with what you feel in real life, Hell?

"I don't. The part of me that understands that I'm in VR is very conscious that it is VR, but everything feels like real life. The sense of space is the same. The sense of time, though, appears to be somewhat different, but I don't know because the few times in VR, I haven't been really checking time. I was...distracted."

Learning about VR and what it can do can certainly make one lose time while one is immersed in it.

"Umm...that too. But, you know what I mean. I've never been in there alone."

Ah, Agent McNeil has always been there too. I believe it's to get used to being together while undergoing the brain wave entrainment.

(Pause)
"Right."

Do you feel comfortable with Agent McNeil's training?

"No."

Why?

"He tests me."

But that's to be expected, right? I'm told the training sessions can be quite vigorous so that I can monitor your heart rate and blood pressure changes.

"Is that what he told you?"

Maybe you can tell me exactly what you don't feel comfortable about. I know Jed likes to take risks, even during training sessions. I'll remind him that some activities can be put off till later, when you're more used to him.

Silence.

"Hey, doc? It's a lot more complicated than you think."

**************************
Helen Roston gives me more information than Jed McNeil, but even she cannot be prodded about certain things. As a scientist, I can only speculate how far the monitor is pushing his operative.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to be hurt in VR? or while remote viewing? If so what would happen to Hell or Hades if one of them is somehow incapacitated in VR?? Say something happens to Hades while Hell is remote viewing, can she come back on her own?

Anonymous said...

Very good question Lady Z. I'd be interested to know. - Tara

SKKD Lambing said...

Why doesn't Hell want Jed to be her mentor? Does it have anything to do with the punching incident yet disclosed to us? She could do worse, Jed shows loyalities to the women he's worked with in the past. Sure some of his methods are quite "polite" but they get the mission accomplished.
I like her last words, "It's more complicated than you think"

Isn't it always,
Kristi

Monique said...

Lady Z: It is possible because the mind accepts VR as reality. Take the leap scene from VHis, for example and how Hell describes it and how Jed reacts to it.

Anonymous said...

But would someone be able to hurt them? Take agent 51 for instance. If he and Hell were to remote view the same target could they "meet" and could he attack somehow? If something happens to either Hell or Hades can the other help?

Anonymous said...

I believe that one can get hurt during a VR session. Combined with remote viewing, the concept becomes double-layered and probably twenty times more dangerous.

All experiments, especially to do with the mind, and combined with drugs, are inherently dangerous. That's why all precautions have to be taken before Helen takes the serum into her system.

Anonymous said...

As for my interview with Helen Roston, it is my observation that her reluctance isn't her not wanting Jed McNeil as her monitor. She is, I believe, talking about his methods, which I'm assuming, are probably not to her liking. My experience with Jed shows that he likes to put people outside their comfort zone.